As of 2010, the population ofMEXICO was 112.3 million.It is estimated that 1% of the populationis in need of a wheelchair(approx. 11 million)
The ARSOBO workshop trains and employs individuals with disabilities to construct durable regular and customized “rough terrain” wheelchairs.
Approximately 786,100 amputees live innorthern Mexico and of those 18,600 live inSONORA. Access to prosthetic devices is verylimited and cost-prohibitive.
The “ARSOBO Prosthetic Workshop & Clinic” in collaboration with the HANGER Corporation fabricates prosthetics & orthotics. HANGER Corporation’s skilled technicians train & support ARSOBO employees to implement this program.
Mexico’s National Statistics Institute statesthat approximately 630,000 Mexicans out of112.3 million people have serious hearing problems.
The “ARSOBO Hearing-Health Workshop” trains and employs hearing impaired individuals to assemble solar-powered hearing aid battery rechargers packaged with high-quality low-cost hearing aids.
WHO WE ARE
GOOD NEWS! ARSOBO received the 501c3 Declaration from the IRS!
“ARSOBO assists in alleviating the physical, psychological, and economic barriers faced by individuals with disabilities by providing appropriate, adaptive-technology, low-cost, assisted devices that improve access and participation in their communities.”
ARSOBO is a non-govenmental organization (NGO) registered in Mexico and a direct result of the first BORDER CONFERENCE ON DISABILITIES held in Nogales, Sonora, 2008 and sponsored by the Sonoran UCEDD (University Centers for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities) at the University of Arizona and DIF (Desarrollo Integral de la Familia) held in Nogales, Sonora, 2008.
ARSOBO IS A UNIQUE ORGANIZATION
IMPROVED US/MEXICO BORDER RELATIONS The cooperative collaboration between ALL partners (including LOCAL COMMUNITIES) contributes to improved US/MEXICO border relationships
- Expanded the network to 18 Cross-Border partners
- Established a wheelchair factory in Nogales MX
- Obtained 4,200 sq. feet of rent-free space
- Contibuted to the local economy by outsourcingservices & purchasing materials
- As of August 2014, constructed 105 all-terrainwheelchairs (1/3 were customized)
- Employed two wheelchair riders & oneprosthetic user
- As of August 2014, the Hanger Corporation conducted 7 bi-monthly prosthetic clinics in Nogales
- The Hanger Corporation is training oneArsobo employee
- As of August 2014, 68 individuals now have aprosthetic limb and are able to function better in society
- Access to low-cost, high-quality medical devices
- Improved self esteem
- Access to school
- Access to skills training
- Involve university students in border projects
- Increase local community awareness of disabilities
LOCAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT:
- Access to employment
- Rechargable hearing aid batteries is an ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY alternative
- Recyle components of conventional wheelchairs & prosthetics.
You can support ARSOBO projects by making a tax-deductible donation.
ARSOBO is a tax exempt non-profit organization (NGO) under section 501 (c) (3) of theInternal Revenue Code.Donations to ARSOBO are deductions under section 170 of the code. If you have any questions about the process, please feel free to contact us.